Protests in Iran
Suspected mosque attacker dies in Iran
Protests continue in south-east Iran. The United Nations is concerned about reports of deaths in the protests. The suspected mosque assassin has died.
After the attack on a mosque in the city of Shiraz in southern Iran, the alleged assassin also died, according to official information. The man succumbed to his injuries in Shiraz hospital, the governor’s office of Fars province said on Saturday, according to a report by the state news agency IRNA. At least 13 people were killed and dozens injured in the attack on Wednesday. The terrorist militia Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for the attack.
The alleged perpetrator was shot by security forces and then taken to the hospital. Iran’s President Ebrahim Raisi announced a “consistent response” to the attack. The chief of staff of the Iranian armed forces, General Mohammad Bagheri, blamed the participants in the ongoing protests against the authoritarian leadership in Tehran.
The trigger for the mass protests was the death of 22-year-old Iranian Kurd Mahsa Amini in mid-September. The vice squad arrested her for allegedly violating Islamic dress codes. She then died in police custody. Since then, tens of thousands have been demonstrating across the country against the government’s repressive course and the Islamic system of rule.
UN concerned about deaths in Iran protests
The United Nations has expressed “increasing concern” about reports of deaths in the protests in Iran. “We condemn all incidents that result in the death or serious injury of protesters and reiterate that security forces must refrain from all unnecessary or unreasonable use of force against peaceful protesters,” a UN spokesman said in New York yesterday. Those responsible must be held accountable.
The government of Iran called on the United Nations to respect human rights and take care of people’s problems. The crisis can and should be brought under control through dialogue.